EdgePoint EP-R8 from Ubiquiti Networks is a Gigabit Router in an outdoor design with output POE support on 7 Ethernet ports, a power-only POE port and one GLAN port without POE. Thanks to this product, you will no longer have to pull cables from the roof to the lower floors for each active element separately, or come up with a complex solution including an outdoor switchboard, switch installation, power supply and POE. You now have all in one .
In terms of connectors and interfaces, the device contains (8) 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet ports, 7 of them with POE Out support, (2) SFP combo 1Gbps ports and DC terminal block for direct power connection. The whole device is powered by a dual-core processor with 600MHz, 2GB RAM and internal storage of 4GB.
Power over ethernet - IN and OUT
POE IN - Ethernet power for the EdgePoint ER-R8 has its limits, and it is recommended to use DC terminal power for multiple connected devices. If you need power over Ethernet, there is a dedicated port labeled "POE IN" , which is dedicated strictly to power , not power + data. The whole unit is powered via passive POE 54V / 1.5A via wires (+1, 2, 4, 5; -3, 6, 7, 8).
POE Out - POE Out ports are divided into two groups according to the consumption and at the same time according to the wires on which the power supply is routed.
The first group of ports 1-2 supports passive POE 54V or 24V / 1.4A and is the power supply on all wires (+1, 2, 4, 5; -3, 6, 7, 8). These ports are designed to power eg: AF-5X units.
The second group of ports 3-7 supports passive POE 54V or passive 24V / 0.7A . Passive POE is the power supply on the wires (+4, 5; -7, 8). Suitable eg: for PowerBeam and Rocket M5-Ti units.
Thanks to the highly sophisticated EdgeOS operating system, it is possible to use basic switch functions, configuration and PoE monitoring and advanced functions such as VLAN configuration, RSTP, Link aggregation, DHCP snooping , RADIUS authentication and routing.
Advanced Routing Applications
Powerful routing features – such as link balancing – provide redundancy and increased performance for outdoor wireless links.
The EP-R6 or EP-R8 offers robust features, including:
• VLAN interfaces for network segmentation
• Static routes and support of routing protocols: OSPF, RIP, and BGP
• Firewall policies and NAT rules
• Application identification with Deep Packet Inspection (DPI)
• DHCP services
• Quality of Service (QoS)
• Network administration and monitoring tools
• Administrator and operator accounts
• Comprehensive IPv6 support
The EP-S16 provides advanced features, including:
• VLAN, Private VLAN, Voice VLAN
• Link Aggregation
• DHCP Snooping, IGMP Snooping
• TACACS+, RADIUS, 802.1X, MAC Filtering, ACL
• DiffServ, CoS
• Static Routing, Policy-Based Routing
Configuration by CLI
The CLI provides quick and flexible configuration by command line and features the following:
• For power users, configuration and monitoring of all advanced features
• Direct access to standard Linux tools and shell commands (EP-R6 or EP-R8 only)
• CLI access through the following:
• Serial console port (EP-R8 or EP‑S16 only)
• Graphical user interface (EP-R6 or EP-R8 only)
The EP-R8 features six RJ45 Ethernet ports and two combination RJ45/SFP Ethernet ports.
• Power Options
• 54VDC, 6A Terminal Block
• Dual PoE Input
• (1) Console Port
• Data Ports
• (6) RJ45 Ports
• (2) Combination RJ45/SFP Ports
Nine RJ45 ports support PoE:
• PoE Input
• (1) 54V, 1.5A (No Data)
• (1) 54V, 1.5A
• PoE Output
• (2) 54 or 24V, 1.4A Passive PoE Output Ports*
• (5) 24V, 0.7A Passive PoE Output Ports*
• Strain Relief for Fiber Optic Strands
• Cable Sleeve and Option for Conduit (Not Included)
• Cable Tie Slots (Cable Ties Not Included)
• Lanyard Loop for Ease of Installation
• Slot for PicoStation®M2HP (Not Included) to Allow for Wireless Management
• Pole-Mount Bracket (Wall-Mount Bracket Also Included)
• Ground Bonding Point
Dimensions: 326.6 x 382.7 x 88.8 mm (12.86 x 15.07 x 3.50")
Dimensions With Wall-Mount: 326.6 x 382.7 x 105.5 mm (12.86 x 15.07 x 4.15")
Weight: 3.4 kg (7.50 lb)
Weight With Wall-Mount: 3.8 kg (8.38 lb)
Enclosure Characteristics: Diecast Aluminum Alloy and Polycarbonate with UV Resistance
Max. Power Consumption: 40W (Excludes PoE Output)
Power Input: (1) DC Terminal Block or (2) RJ45 (PoE In and eth0). (Self-Correcting Polarity Protection on DC Terminal Block Only, Diode ORed Protection on All Power Inputs)
Power Supply: Min. 54V / 0.8A (Excludes PoE Output Power)
VDC Input: 54VDC, 6A
Passive PoE Input: (2) 54V / 1.5A, 4-Pair (+1, 2, 4, 5; -3, 6, 7, 8) Passive PoE, eth0 and PoE In (PoE In is DC Only, No Data)
Passive PoE Output: (2) 54V or 24V / 1.4A, 4-Pair (+1, 2, 4, 5; -3, 6, 7, 8) Passive PoE, eth1 to eth2 (5) 24V / 0.7A, 2-Pair (+4, 5; -7, 8) Passive PoE, eth3 to eth7
Power Monitoring: (1) DC Terminal Block, Input Power (2) RJ45, PoE In and eth0, Input Power
Supported Voltage Range: 56 to 42VDC
System - Power,
eth0 - Speed/Link/Activity,
eth1 to eth7 - Speed/Link/Activity, PoE,
SFP - Speed/Link/Activity.
Ports: Serial Console Port, PoE In Port.
(1) RJ45 Serial Port
(1) RJ45 Port
(6) 10/100/1000 RJ45 Ports
(2) 10/100/1000 RJ45/SFP Combination Ports
Processor: Dual-Core 600 MHz, MIPS64 with Hardware Acceleration for Packet Processing
System Memory: 2 GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Code Storage: 4 GB
Certifications: CE, FCC, IC
Pole/Wall Mount: Yes
Operating Temperature: -40 to 65° C (-40 to 149° F)
Operating Humidity: 10 to 90% Noncondensing